We are delighted to invite you to join Handspring authors, Madeline Black and Elizabeth Larkam in this new series of webinars focusing on Pilates Applications for Health Conditions. Together Elizabeth and Madeline will explore the history of Pilates research as they prepare the ground for a new book they are developing along with expert contributors. Pilates Applications for Health Conditions: Case Reports and Perspectives (due 2021) seeks to make an important contribution to the evolution of the Pilates profession.
Register to receive:
- A link to the Zoom recording of each event
- A list/links to all supporting materials
- Special discount offer off relevant books
- First in line for future events!
Discussion will include the contribution that different forms of movement make to health and healing – yoga, Alexander Technique, Feldenkrais. The presenters will also explore the history and use of assessment in Pilates practice, and introduce the unique Assessment (a series of movement tasks that relate to efficient gait) developed for their book.
NB if the webinar is oversubscribed it will be live streamed to the Handspring Publishing YouTube channel, where you can view it live and/or after the event.
Pilates Applications for Health Conditions – episode 3, July 15 (8am PDT / 11am EDT / 4pm BST)
Subsequent webinars will focus on components of the Assessment, explaining its relevance to gait and to Pilates movement sequencing. The link to join this webinar will be posted shortly. NB if the webinar is oversubscribed it will be live streamed to the Handspring Publishing YouTube channel. You can view it there live and after the event.
Episode 1 – Elizabeth and Madeline explore the history of research in the Pilates field through an engaging mixture of discussion, practice and Q&A.
Resources for Pilates Applications for Health Conditions – episode 1
Studies that link gait deficiencies and speed with early neurological disease and survival of older adults –
- Studenski S, Perera S, Patel K, et al. (2010) “Gait Speed and Survival in Older Adults” JAMA 305(1):50–58
- Barrett RS, Mills PM, Begg RK. A systematic review of the effect of ageing and falls history on minimum foot clearance characteristics during level walking. Gait Posture. 2010;32(4):429‐435. doi:10.1016/j.gaitpost.2010.07.010
- Ribeiro DM, Bueno GAS, Gervásio FM, Menezes RL. Foot-ground clearance characteristics in women: A comparison across different ages. Gait Posture. 2019;69:121‐125. doi:10.1016/j.gaitpost.2019.01.028
NB There is a strong positive relationship between dorsiflexion and MFC. Ankle dorsiflexion was the most predictive variable over MFC.
- Pilates Method Alliance National Pilates Certification Exam Study Guide 4th edition (©2019 Pilates Method Alliance Inc (PMA)
- Return to Life Through Contrology (Joseph H Pilates)
- Original Copyright 1945; Reprinted 2010 Pilates Method Alliance Inc
- Joseph Pilates A Biography by Eva Rincke (©2019 Published in the United States by Inner Strength Publishing)
- Caged Lion – Joseph Pilates & His Legacy by John Howard Steel (©2020 Last Leaf Press)
- Centered: Organizing the Body through Kinesiology, Movement Theory and Pilates Techniques (Black Handspring Publishing)
- Fascia in Motion: Fascia-focused Movement for Pilates (Larkam, Handspring Publishing)
- The Principles and Practice of Yoga in Health Care (Khalsa et al, Handspring Publishing)
- Medical Therapeutic Yoga (Garner, Handspring Publishing)
- The Alexander Principle by Wilfred Barlow (© 1973 Arrow Books LTD) – NB The Alexander Technique by Penelope Easten (Handspring Publishing) is in preparation and due for publication in 2020.
The Potent Self by Moshe Feldenkrais (©1985 Frog Ltd) – NB The Feldenkrais® Method by Staffan Elgelid and Chrish Kresge (Handspring Publishing) is in preparation and due for publication in 2020.